Donate

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August 22

Today was a nice, slow day. They drew some blood for labs this morning, but nothing else exciting as far as medical stuff goes.

They have sent off his blood to do a genetic testing to figure out exactly which form of SCID he has. They have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 types, including the X-related and IL7-R, and I think there is one more. It will take several weeks to get the results, but it will be helpful in planning our future family, as well as helpful for my siblings who would like families of their own. I am kind of hoping it isn't the X-related, that way my sisters won't have to be worried about passing this on to their sons. I don't know if one form is worse than another for Cael. I don't think so. If so, I guess I hope he has the least bad form of T depleted SCID.

Cael is at such a great age right now. And now that he is getting better and breathing easier, he has so much more energy! His new favorite things are eating his feet and standing. Before we got to Houston, he would never stand. As soon as his feet touched the ground, his knees would buckle. Now every time we go to pick him up, he wants to stand. He sticks his hands in his mouth, giggles and starts to squirm. It is so cute!

All the nurses have been saying how cute Cael is. I always knew he was cute, but I am a little biased. ;) But if all these nurses are saying he is so cute, it must just be the truth! He smiles for everyone who comes in, and hardly gives anyone a hard time.  He got a shot today, which made him cry, but he was over it in less than 10 minutes. Then he was back to his happy self.  We have gotten so lucky to have such a happy baby. It makes going through all of this a little easier. I just love seeing his happiness and hear his giggles every day.

I talked with my work today. Since we are in Houston, where we have another office, I am going to try working part time from the Houston office while we are here. I don't know if I'll be able to continue that for the entire time we are here, but I need to do it for now, at least, in order to make some money. All those pesky bills back at home aren't going to pay themselves. It will be nice (necessary, really) to have the income to help pay for that stuff. Now of anyone has a money tree, please let me know. I'd much rather use that!

In truth, though, I have the best job. Everyone has been so supportive at work, and done everything they can to help us out. I get calls occasionally from my boss, just to check on us and see how things are going.  Plus they are giving me this option of working part time in Houston.  I feel incredibly lucky to have such a great set of people to work with.

Cael is sleeping soundly. At least until 10 when they come in to do his ribovirin breathing treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment